We’ve been doing some major updating to the site. Over the last week, every single one of the nearly 400 startpages has been re-coded. We’ve chopped roughly one-hundred lines of code off each page and moved straggling style code to css. This means faster load times and a more unified look. Along the way, we’ve also fixed a few broken default links. Over time, some of the sites we’ve linked to have gone out of commission. If you find any links like this, contact us and we’ll fix or replace them.
The bottom links used to use a table for spacing; we’ve cut most of that code out to help unify spacing between long and short links. The spacing wasn’t a big deal before, but was starting to look weird with the addition of four extra links. As soon as we’re done revising our preferences page, this feature will pop up. We’re ahead of schedule – the additional custom links should be available in another week or so.
Different browsers and operating systems use different default fonts and widths for form elements. It’s really aggravating. The same code that creates a really short bar on Internet Explorer on a PC creates a ridiculously long bar with Safari on a Mac. We used to use PHP to detect the browser and change the size, but as it turns out that was really stupid. We’ve deleted that bloated code from all the pages, and are now using CSS. This alone should make your page load much faster.
Some users have been experiencing Service Temporarily Unavailable errors. Our current server only allows for so many connections per page. This is a pretty large number, but the load from development over the last week has been pushing our limits. The problem should be fixed, but if you’ve still got issues let us know.
As a general rule of thumb, anytime something isn’t working contact us. We have a very small development team, and it’s getting really hard to watch for errors on such a massive site. We can usually fix them within minutes, but we need you to help spot them. Thanks!