The request system has been the subject of much tweaking in the recent weeks. After some testing, we’re adding another function to the page. One of the basic problems we’ve had since the system went online is that it accepted requests for themes that already exist. This created two real issues…the first is that designers would see these requests and make themes we didn’t need. The other issue is that someone coming to the site hoping to find a theme that we did in fact have would put in a request and leave thinking we didn’t.
By using a bit of the technology already in place in our search feature, we’ve changed the request function to eliminate both of those issues at once. When a request is submitted, the system will check it against our entire database of themes and return any results. If it looks like we already have that theme, it’ll inform the user of the good news and give them a link instead of submitting the request. The system is pretty smart, so it shouldn’t have any problems with slight variations on entries or seeing the difference between a movie theme that exists and a videogame theme of the same name.